Applications open: Senior Bioinformatician
The David R Gunn Genomics Suite is a new genomics core facility located within the Cancer Theme at the new South Australian Health & Medical Research Institute (SAHMRI) in Adelaide, Australia. The facility is equipped with all the equipment expected in a modern genomics facility including three Illumina sequencers and facilities for single-cell analyses. The facility supports researchers across all of the seven SAHMRI Themes and external partners to perform a range of genomics studies including Whole Genome Sequencing, mRNAseq, microRNAseq, Exome sequencing, ChIPseq, and 16S rRNA microbiome profiling. Bioinformatics analysis of the massive amounts of data generated in these experiments is supported by a new SAHMRI-based high-performance computing cluster.
SAHMRI is now seeking applications for a Senior Bioinformatician with demonstrated experience in next generation sequencing (NGS) with an internationally competitive track record to establish and lead a new bioinformatics core facility at SAHMRI. The James and Diana Ramsay Foundation Senior Bioinformatician will lead the development and implementation of new and established computational methods and pipelines for the analysis and interpretation of Next Generation Sequencing (NGS) data within SAHMRI. The Senior Bioinformatician will provide guidance and support for staff working on NGS projects across the themes. Active collaboration with NGS based research projects and expansion of the general bioinformatics and genomics knowledge base is expected (e.g. by running tutorials, workshops, etc.).
About the Role
- Actively participate in collaborative research projects with a bioinformatics component.
- Develop new and existing pipelines for NGS data analysis.
- Lead and collaborate on NGS grant applications.
- Integrate with genomics and bioinformatics groups.
- Undertake bioinformatics data analysis.
- Write reports to a high standard on analyses undertaken and contribute to or lead publications based on those analyses.
- Provide leadership and mentoring to junior bioinformatics staff associated with NGS projects.
- Organise or coordinate relevant internal workshops for NGS data handling.
- PhD in Bioinformatics, Computer Science, Physics, Statistics or other relevant discipline and several years post-doctoral experience working in genomics/NGS bioinformatics
- Strong experience in a UNIX/Linux environment.
- Internationally competitive track record and publications in bioinformatics.
- Advanced programming skills in several of the following: Python, R, C++, Perl, SQL, Java.
- Demonstrated experience with next generation sequencing data including genomic and transcriptomic analysis.
- Basic knowledge of biological systems, with experience in cancer genomics being particularly desirable.
For more information please contact Caley Butler, Human Resources Advisor at firstname.lastname@example.org
Everything we do is underpinned by our core values and our institute is dedicated to grow a culture that pursues, enables and demands research excellence. We’re proud of the work we do and work hard as a team to make a positive difference to the community. Excellence, imagination, integrity, courage and teamwork are what help us achieve our goals. If this is you, apply today.
To Apply - Please visit www.sahmri.com/human-resources/careers
Applications close: 7 March 2016